Select equipment is available for checkout by SNS faculty, staff, and students working on approved projects for SNS classes, capstones, and ENSCI graduate student projects.
Monday-Friday: 11:00am- 12:00pm (09/24/18-012/17/18). Please contact email@example.com to arrange equipment checkout during the Summer.
Bldg 53, Room E135
To request equipment, please send email at least 24 hours in advance (weekends not counting) to the “SNS Equipment Checkout” group email at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Equipment checkout request”, and including the following information:
- List of specific items (and quantities of each) that you are requesting. View a list of commonly used equipment.
- Identify which class (and instructor) or approved capstone project you will need the items for
- Date and time you will pick up and return items (must be within range of Mon-Fri, checkout/return time TBD)
- Your phone number in case a technician needs to contact you
You will receive a confirmation email when your checkout request has been processed.
I'd like to check out the following list of equipment for ENVS 350: Quantitative Field Methods (4 units) on October 15th at 11:00. We can return the equipment on October 16th between 11am and 12pm.
1 GPS unit
1 50 meter transect tape
10 pin flags
1 meter stick
1 soil thermometer
My cell phone number: 555-555-5555
- Equipment must be returned on time and to the same location from which it was checked out. On-time return of borrowed equipment is crucial, as common-use equipment is often needed immediately upon return.
- You are expected to return equipment clean and in working condition. Please allow time for equipment to be properly examined and checked in.
- Note that some types of equipment may be particularly sensitive to heat, moisture, dust, jostling, or other environmental factors. You will want to treat equipment with care, as you will be held financially responsible for damage.
- Please report any equipment malfunction or maintenance issues.
- If you cannot make the assigned return time, please arrange for someone else to return your equipment, or email email@example.com in advance (or as soon as possible) to arrange another time to return items.
- Please note that we may request that equipment be returned earlier than planned.
- Inability to follow the equipment checkout procedures could result in suspension of privileges to check out SNS equipment and materials.
Also available for checkout are many book and field guides related to ecology, natural history, and plant and animal identification. A list of resources are available at the link below. If you are interested in requesting any of these resources, please include the title(s) you'd like.
SNS Books and Guides for Checkout - Link coming soon
Before you check out equipment for your project, you will need to complete, with the help of your advisor, an Independent Project Resource Request form (below). This form must be signed by your advisor. Once your project is approved, you will be assigned a tech contact to whom you will email your specific requests as outlined above.
In general, your advisor will be providing you with the equipment and space required for your project work. If needed, you may request use of instructional equipment. After consultation with your advisor, you will submit an SNS Independent Project Resource Request form (below), and have it signed by your project advisor. Once approved, you can request the equipment when you need it, following the steps outlined above.
Students must be trained on equipment in class prior to checking it out. The one exception to the in-class training rule will be for students with approved capstone or graduate projects, whose advisor may provide training before the equipment is checked out.
In the event of an equipment conflict, we will prioritize requests by type, according to the priority below.
- Instructor in-class needs for undergraduate SNS lab and field classes, followed by in-class needs for other SNS classes
- Approved SNS undergraduate capstone projects and approved graduate student projects
- Independent project needs for upper division undergraduate SNS lab and field classes, followed by independent project needs for lower division undergraduate SNS lab and field classes
- Instructional needs for other SNS classes not included above
- Other SNS requests including SNS grant-related projects