Skip to content
  • CSUMB Home
  • International

Travel with your Student Visa

Whether you want to return to your home country over summer break, explore Mexico or Canada on spring break, or participate in a study abroad program, chances are you may want to travel inside and outside the U.S. while studying at CSUMB. Before you pack your luggage, there are some steps you need to take to protect your status.

Schedule an appointment

Travel within the U.S.

You and your dependents may be surprised to learn that federal law requires that you carry "registration" documents at all times. If you are traveling by air, train, bus, or ship, you may be required to show these documents before boarding. This includes basic identity documents such as:

For day-to-day purposes, we suggest you keep these documents in a secure location. Keep photocopies of all your documents in a separate location, in the event your documents are lost or stolen.

Travel outside of the U.S.


Visit the U.S. Customs Immigration Travel page for the most up to date travel information and answers to frequently asked questions! As always, you should also feel free to contact the International Programs office or schedule an appointment.

International Programs

(831) 582-4778
Gavilan Hall