Skip to content
  • CSUMB Home
  • International

​​Tax Information for Students & Scholars

Taxes are due by April 15th, 2020.

Form 8843

If you are considered a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, or if you received income in the last year, this will determine if you file Form 8843. In general, visa holders will file Form 8843 if they:

  • Were an exempt individual. Including all F-1 and J-1 international students.
  • Were unable to leave the United States because of a medical condition or medical problem.
  • To complete the Form 8843 by yourself for free, please go to this link for more information.
Learn more about Form 8843

W-2s – Paid employment

If you have been employed or received W-2s, you probably will need to file additional paperwork. Again, you may not owe money. You may even get a refund. In any case, you definitely must file.

If you determine that you were a non-resident for tax purposes, you can file 1040NR or 1040NREZ, depending on your situation. You may also use services like Sprintax, Glacier, and/or other certified tax accountants. TurboTax is not recommended as it will not complete the correct forms for you if you are a non-resident.

Social Security and Medicare Taxes

You may have to pay social security and Medicare taxes if you are determined a resident for tax purposes. Learn more about these requirements.

Preparation Assistance

If you need help filing your tax forms, you have several options:

  • IRS recommended Tax Preparation Sites
    • Be sure to call ahead and ask if they prepare 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 540NR and 540NR-EZ
  • Sprintax - Tax preparation assistance specifically for international students (use the discount code: Spx2018CSUF5)
  • GLACIER Tax Prep - Individual License Online help for Federal Tax forms

Please be careful using tax software on your own. Many programs do not have adequate features for international students and scholars. The International Programs office cannot assist you with your tax preparation.

For more information and access to the forms, visit the links below:

Federal Current Year Tax Forms
  • Form 1040-NR
  • Inst 1040-NR
  • Form 1040-NR-EZ
  • Inst 1040-NR-EZ
California Current Year Tax Forms
  • See “Form Number and/or Keywords” type 540-NR for a complete list

NOTE: The International Programs Office does NOT have an advisor trained in the complexities of the U.S. tax codes and therefore cannot advise on tax issues. If you need assistance, please consult one of the websites above.

International Programs

(831) 582-4778
Gavilan Hall