Extended Education and International Programs

International Programs

Tax information for students and scholars

2022 taxes are due by April 15, 2023.

Form 8843

For tax purposes, if you are considered a resident or non-resident, or if you received income in the last year, this will determine if you file Form 8843. In general, visa holders will file Form 8843 if they:

  • Were an exempt individual. Including all F-1 and J-1 international students.
  • Were unable to leave the United States because of a medical condition or medical problem.

To complete the Form 8843 by yourself for free, please go to this link for more information.

W-2s – paid employment

If you have been employed or received W-2s, you will need to file additional paperwork. You may not owe money or you may even get a refund, but you must file your taxes. 

If you determine that you were a non-resident for tax purposes, you can likely file Form 1040NR, depending on your situation. You may also use services like Sprintax, Glacier, and/or other certified tax accountants. TurboTax is not recommended as it will not complete the correct forms for you if you are a non-resident for tax purposes.

Social Security and Medicare taxes

You may have to pay social security and Medicare taxes if you are determined a resident for tax purposes. Learn more about these requirements

Preparation assistance

If you need help filing your tax forms, you have several options:

Please be careful using tax software on your own. Many programs such as TurboTax, do not have adequate features for international students and scholars. The International Programs office cannot assist you with your tax preparation.

For more information and access to the forms, visit the links below:

NOTE: The International Programs Office does NOT have an advisor trained in the complexities of the U.S. tax codes and therefore cannot advise on tax issues. If you need assistance, please consult one of the websites above.