Social Security Number
All types of employment require you to possess a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN).
Download detailed information about Social Security Number eligibility and the application process from the Social Security Administration.
How to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN)
Receive a job offer letter from your potential employer. The letter must include the following information:
- Your supervisor's name and contact information
- Department/company you will be working for
- Your title and type of work you will be doing
- Specific location your work will take place (if not directly on campus)
- The dates of your proposed employment
- Rate of pay (if applicable)
with a DSO/ARO in the International Programs office and bring the offer letter to request a letter of support.
*J-1 students please bring your On Campus Employment Application with you, if applying for a job at CSUMB.
Make an appointment with the Social Security Administration office in Salinas by calling 1-877-600-2857. Take the following documents to the Social Security Administration Office in Salinas, or your local Social Security Office:
- Your job offer letter
- Letter of Support from the DSO/ARO at the International Programs Office
- Your current I-20/DS-2019
- Your passport with visa stamp
- Your I-94 admission record
- Completed SSN application form