Extended Education and International Programs

International Programs

On-Campus Employment

As an international student, you may be eligible to work on campus. It is very important that you work with the International Programs Office in order to comply with all immigration requirements.

  • On-campus employment includes:

    • Employment for CSUMB or The University Corporation
      • Examples: teaching assistant, research assistant, student assistant, etc.
    • Work performed in a campus location for a commercial firm providing direct services to CSUMB students on campus
      • Example: Starbucks on campus (but not at the Target near campus)
    • Employment at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with CSUMB. The educational affiliation must be associated with your academic department's established curriculum or related to contractually funded projects at the post-graduate level, and be an integral part of your educational program.
      • Example: If you are in the Marine Science Program, working at the Moss Landing Marine Lab

    Please consult your DSO/ARO for guidance.

  • You are allowed to work:

    • Part-time (20 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time semesters (this includes exam week)
    • Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between semesters and during your fall and spring breaks.
  • On-campus job opportunities are posted on the CSUMB website at Otter Jobs.

    This database advertises both on-campus and off-campus jobs. Filter your search to only look for on-campus jobs. On-campus jobs are also advertised on flyers posted around campus—in elevators, office bulletin boards, etc.

  • Your CSUMB I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at CSUMB only. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit; maintaining status means that you are a full-time registered student (except for approved exceptions) in good academic standing with a valid I-20.

    Expiration of on-campus employment eligibility

    Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

    • When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final semester, even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
    • If you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
    • If you are in violation of your F-1 status, your work authorization will be denied.
  • J-1 students may engage in on campus employment if they meet the following requirements:

    • Student is in good academic standing
    • Student continues to engage in a full course of study, except for official school breaks and the student's annual vacation
    • Employment totals no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks and the student's annual vacation
    • The responsible officer (in the CSUMB International Programs Office) has approved the specific employment in advance and in writing

    Your on campus employment approval may be valid up to the end of the current term, and must be applied for each semester.

    You must also submit your letter of employment from your employer which details the following information:

    • Employer Name Employer Name Employer Name
    • Job Title Job Title
    • Hours per week during term Hours per week during term
    • Employer Address Employer Address
    • Supervisor Name Supervisor Name
    • Supervisor Telephone Number
    • Supervisor Email Address
    • Start Date
    • End Date