Extended Education and International Programs

International Programs

International Organizations


As an F-1 student, you may work for a qualified international organization, as defined by the International Organization Immunities Act of December 29, 1945. If you have an offer from an employer on the List of International Organizations you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

How to apply

Contact your DSO in the International Programs Office to discuss your situation before you complete the required documentation. Your DSO will determine your eligibility and assist you in completing and submitting the application to USCIS. Required documentation includes:

  • Form I-765 (write (c)(3)(ii) in item 16)
  • $380 fee (make your check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
  • Photocopy of Form I-20, with DSPO recommendation for employment with an international organization
  • Two passport style photos
  • Photocopy of I-94 card (front and back)
  • Written certification from the international organization that your employment is within the scope of their sponsorship;
  • Photocopy of passport identification page
  • Photocopy of visa page
  • Photocopies of any previously-issued EAD cards.

Application processing times vary between two to four months. If approved, USCIS will issue an EAD for a maximum of one year. Do not begin working until you receive the EAD. You may work part-time or full-time but must maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during your employment. This employment does not affect your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Employment authorization is automatically terminated if you fail to maintain status or transfer to another school.


Your employer may suggest or require that you change to G-1 status, a non immigrant status reserved for employees of international organizations. If you change your status, your eligibility for benefits based on your F-1 status may be affected. You should consult the International Programs Office for more information.