Extended Education and International Programs

International Programs

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you are an F-1 student, you have the option of working in the United States by engaging in practical training during your program. Practical training can provide valuable work experience by sharpening and adding to the skills you are learning in school.

Curricular Practical Training enable students in F-1 status to be employed off-campus before they complete their academic program if their academic curriculum requires it. F-1 students who obtain authorization for CPT from the DSO in the International Programs office can work off-campus while enrolled in classes and or during their summer vacation period, with support from their faculty, if specific conditions have been met. The training, internship or work must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study.

Please read the important information below and complete the CPT Request Form. Set a meeting to speak with the International Programs office staff about guidelines and requirements.

  • An F-1 student who is in good standing with immigration is eligible for CPT if s/he:

    • Has been in F-1 status for at least two consecutive semesters at CSU Monterey Bay, except in the case of a graduate level program;
    • When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for details;
    • Has continuously pursued a full-course of study (12-units per term excluding summer), and;
    • Has complied with all immigration regulations,and;
    • Has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and is not on academic probation, or, has the permission of the dean of the related college, and;
    • Has enrolled in a class that would benefit from an internship, for the semester in which s/he plans to be engaged in CPT, and;
    • Has met with the related faculty to determine the academic requirements of the internship, and;
    • Has obtained an offer of employment that meets immigration requirements, and is in writing. Details on what that letter must include are below.
    • Your DSO will provide you a new Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non immigrant Student Status,” that shows that the DSO has approved you for this employment.
    • If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you are ineligible for OPT, but part-time CPT is fine and will not stop you from doing OPT.
    • Any paid or unpaid internship or employment opportunity qualifies for CPT if it is directly related to the student’s major field of study, is an integral part of the student’s learning, and the employer has a tax ID.
    • You can work on CPT either full-time or part-time during the academic semester.


    CPT is limited to 20-hours of work per week during the academic semesters. The number of hoursper week cannot be averaged. Part-time CPT is not deducted from a student’s option of applying for Occupational Post-Completion Practical Training upon completion of their academic program.


    CPT is any work 21-hours or more per week during the academic semesters. If a student works more than 20 hours for more than12-months, cumulatively, the student loses the option of doing OPT.