Plan your arrival
Booking travel arrangements is both a stressful and exciting process. With a little planning, your trip can be a smooth ride.
When looking at flights, be sure to compare all of your options not just in terms of price, but also think about:
- Time between layovers to navigate a large airport, especially if your flight is delayed
- Backup plan in case you miss the bus to CSUMB or arrive later than expected
- Whether you want to arrive early to explore the sights before moving in
There are three recommended airports within a reasonable distance to campus:
- Monterey Regional Airport (MRY): 20-minute taxi ride from campus. Taxis cost about $45.
- San Jose International (SJC): About an hour from Monterey. Shuttle service is available through Monterey Airbus for $50.
- San Francisco International (SFO): About 2 hours from Monterey. Shuttle service is available through Monterey Airbus for $60.
Oakland, Sacramento, and Los Angeles airports are not accessible by public transportation to CSUMB and are not recommended.
You are responsible for arranging your own transportation to campus and must arrive no later than 7PM on your scheduled arrival day for check-in.
A taxi to campus from the Monterey airport (MRY) is around $45.
- Yellow Cab +1 (831) 646-1234
- Central Coast Cab Co. +1 (831) 455-5173
- Monterey Yellow Cab +1 (831) 333-1234
- Uber or Lyft apps
Monterey Airbus Shuttle
The Monterey Airbus Shuttle is a shuttle service that provides transportation directly to campus from San Francisco (SFO) and San Jose (SJC) airports. The shuttle costs $50 - $60.
When selecting your time, you will want to ensure that you have at least 1-2 hours to deplane, go through U.S. Customs & Border Control, collect your baggage, and walk to the airbus pickup location with time to spare.
It is highly recommended that you book your reservation for the Airbus immediately after booking your flight to ensure a spot.
Directions for booking the airbus to campus:
- Use link to be taken directly to CSUMB campus
- You be will dropped off at the Student Center (housing check-in location)
- Select "Arrival Reservations", "One Way"
- Enter your arrival airport and flight details
- Select "School" and "CSUMB" as your drop-off location
- Enter your personal and luggage details
- Select "Monterey Airbus"
- Provide additional personal/flight details and payment
CSUMB student volunteers will be at the San Francisco airport and can help direct you to the Monterey Airbus shuttle stop. Walking directions are also available for all airports in the "PICKUP LOCATIONS" section (upper right-hand corner) of montereyairbus.com Please look for this shuttle:
- There are additional Airbus departures later than those noted in the table, but 4:30 PM (SFO) and 5:35PM (SJC) are the latest departure time that will allow you to check in for housing. Some arrival times in the online system may be slightly different from the table – if this affects you, do not worry. As long as you depart by 4:30 PM (SFO) or 5:35 PM (SJC), you will arrive in time.
- Be sure to look at the “PICKUP LOCATIONS” for SFO & SJC so that you know the correct location to walk to at the airport. There will also be CSUMB staff at SFO to help escort you to the pick-up spots.
- You will be responsible for arranging your own accommodations if you arrive to campus later than 7:00PM.
Car rental companies require a current, valid home country or U.S. driver's license, your passport or photo identification, and a major credit card. Students on F or J visas are allowed to drive in California using their home country license for as long as it is valid. You are required to be insured, and the car rental companies will offer you insurance. Please note that some companies do not rent to drivers under the age of 25 (or they may require an additional deposit).
Below are some car rental companies in the Monterey, San Francisco and San Jose areas – ask if they provide a student discount:
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott - located 2.0 mi from CSUMB
- Howard Johnson Marina - located 2.4 mi from CSUMB
- Holiday Inn Express: Hotel and Suites - located 4.5 mi from CSUMB
- Hampton Inn Monterey - located 4.6 mi from CSUMB
- Comfort Inn Monterey Bay - located 5.5 mi from CSUMB
- Best Western De Anza Inn - located 5.7 mi from CSUMB
- Hotel Abrego - located 6.9 mi from CSUMB
- Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa - located 6.9 mi from CSUMB
- Monterey Hostel - located 7.8 mi from CSUMB
If you arrive in Monterey before your scheduled arrival date, you will not be able to check in to your on-campus housing. You may choose to stay in a hotel at your own arrangement and cost.
If you experience delays beyond your control on your day of travel, please let us know. We will try to assist you with a later move-in time, alternate transportation, and hotel arrangements (at your expense).
You can call or leave a message at +1 (831) 582-4778. After 7PM, call +1 (831) 582-7656.
- Form of valid ID
- Medication, first-aid kit
- Twin XL bed sheets, blankets and pillows
- Cookware, utensils
- Shower curtain, toilet paper, toiletries
- Cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, trash cans
- School supplies, laptop
- Seasonal clothing (layers), hangers
- Copy of birth certificate
- Ethernet cable, surge protector
- Microwave 850 watts or less
- 5.2 Cu. Ft. Mini Refrigerator
DO NOT bring
- Alcohol and drugs
- Air conditioners
- Burners or hot plates
- Ceiling fans/lights
- Electric heaters
- Extension cords
- Exposed element heating devices
- Fireworks, explosives
- Halogen lamps
Please note: East Campus is very sparsely furnished. If you choose this option, please expect to purchase more household necessities than if you were to live on Main Campus.
If you are planning to ship packages before arrival, please email the International Programs office to let us know that a package is on its way.
Student’s First Name and Last Name
3116 Inter-Garrison Rd
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA 93955