Extended Education and International Programs

International Programs

National Student Exchange (NSE)

National Student Exchange (NSE) is an opportunity to study at one of 198 universities throughout the United States, its territories (Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam) and Canada, including CSUMB. Students may study for up to two semesters and all units transfer back to their home university.

NSE participants have found their exchanges culturally enriching, academically rewarding, and one of the most significant experiences of their undergraduate education. Since its founding in 1968, more than 110,000 students have had the opportunity to experience life from a different point of view.

The International Programs Office at CSUMB is proud to serve National Student Exchange students as part of our efforts to diversify the CSUMB campus. We recognize that while U.S. and international exchange student needs differ, there is always an adjustment period when studying at a new campus. Housing, course enrollment, and arrival/orientation will be arranged by the International Programs Office to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

  • Eligibility: students at participating U.S. or Canadian NSE institutions
  • Study for up to 2 semesters
  • All units transfer back to home university
  • Two payment options: Plan A pays CSUMB tuition; Plan B pays home university tuition
  • There are two funding options available to students, Plan A and Plan B.

    Plan A

    • Pay CSUMB tuition
    • Pay CSUMB housing, meals & fees
    • Pay your own transportation

    Plan B

    • Pay your home university's Tuition
    • Pay CSUMB housing, meals & fees
    • Pay your own transportation
  • Applying to NSE is a two step process. You must first apply and be accepted to the NSE program. Once you are accepted, you will receive notification about how to complete the CSUMB application.

NSE Partner Universities

  • National Student Exchange (NSE) students who come to CSUMB on Plan A and B pay tuition and housing on the same schedule as international students. If you need charges to be delayed until you receive your financial aid, you need to ask your HOME financial aid office to request a deferment by sending an email to CSUMB’s financial aid office before the semester begins.

    The office can send an email to financial_aid@csumb.edu stating your full name, your CSUMB Student ID number (which you’ll receive after you complete your Placement Acceptance Form), the semester or semesters that you will be at CSUMB, the amount of financial aid you will be receiving, and when you expect to receive it.

    PLEASE NOTE: Tuition may only be deferred for a maximum of two weeks after the start of the academic year, even if you don’t receive your financial aid until after that date.