Exception to Policy
As a reminder, you are still responsible for your University financial obligations until a decision has been made regarding your Exception to Policy request.
How to fill out the exception to policy form
- Read this page and at the bottom, you will find a link to download the Exception to Policy form.
- Fill out the form and write a letter to explain the reason for your request in detail. Also, prepare any necessary documentation that you feel will best support your request.
- Submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (or drop off hard copies in person to the SHRL office):
- Completed Exception to Policy Form (required)
- Letter explaining your request in detail (required)
- Any necessary documentation to support your request
- An email confirmation will be sent to you that your Exception to Policy Request has been received along with the timeframe of when you can expect to hear back with the decision from the Exception to Policy Committee.
- After the committee meets and makes a decision, you will be notified via email of the committee’s decision within two (2) business days of the meeting. Depending on the type of request it may take longer than two business days. If it does take longer, you will be notified.
What you need to know about the exception to policy request process
- Submitting this form for an Exception to Policy does not mean your request will be approved.
- All policies must be followed until the committee has sent you an email of approval for your Exception to Policy.
- Incomplete request packets will not be accepted. Failure to provide any of the two required documents listed above will result in the delay of your request being considered. Providing supporting documentation is highly encouraged
- The committee meets on the first and third week of each month.
- This form is due on the second and fourth Thursday by 5 pm each month to be reviewed the following week.
Exception to policy requests are not used for
These have other forms or process to complete and are not to be submitted as an exception to policy
- Room Transfers
- Setting up Payment Plans or requesting payment extensions
- Canceling a Meal Plan
- East Campus Damages and Fee Appeals
Exception to policy requests are used for
Asking for an exception to a published policy or requirement not listed above. For example (but not limited to):
- Requesting to cancel your license agreement
- Appealing Main Campus housing charges/fees you feel were wrongfully charged to you
- Appealing Main Campus damage charges that you have already contacted your Community Director about but wish to appeal their decision
Special notes for common exception to policy requests
- No room and board refund shall be given after the designated license period begins. Any Licensee who requests to vacate the Licensed Space after the beginning of the designated license period shall give at least thirty (30) days written notice of intention to vacate and the reason therefore.
- The Corporation may grant or deny a request to vacate based on any one of the following standards with appropriate verification:
- A student unable to continue a course because of a campus rule
- Compulsory military service
- Physical disability of a student
- Death of a student
- Appeals to charges/fees must be made within thirty (30) days of charges being posted to your student account.
- If you choose to appeal damage charges, you must first contact your Community Director. If after that request you wish to appeal further you may submit an exception to policy form.
- Appeals to damage charges must be made to your Community Director within thirty (30) days of charges being posted to your student account.
- If you wish to appeal the Community Director’s decision, you must do so within ten (10) business days of the Community Directors decision.
- You must provide substantial documentation for your appeal. This could include but not limited to, a written statement from the person taking responsibility for the damage or relevant documentation showing who the responsibility party is.
- If you have completed an express checkout, then you waived your rights to appeal any damage charges. You can request that your Community Director review your charges for accuracy but are not allowed to appeal.
Exception to policy request inquires
- If you ever have a question about your request please feel free to email us your questions at email@example.com.
- Please note that the committee meets the first and third Thursday of each month.
Appeals to the committee decisions
- If you choose to appeal the decision of the Exception to Policy Committee, you must submit your appeal within thirty (30) days of the committee decision notification being sent. Please include any new information as well as a detailed reason for your appeal and any additional documentation you feel is relevant.
- If your Exception to Policy is denied, you will have the opportunity to appeal. Provided in the correspondence of denial of your Exception to Policy there will be a link to submit your appeal.
- You are allowed one appeal to the committee’s decisions and that appeal decision will be final.