As a reminder, you are still responsible for your University financial obligations until a decision has been made regarding your Exception to Policy request.
How to fill out the exception to policy form
- Read this page and at the bottom, you will find different links to
accessthe Exception to Policy forms for your specific Exception to Policy request.
- Fill out the form that corresponds with your request, and provide a detailed explanation as to the reason for your request in detail. Also, upload any necessary documentation that you feel will best support your request. This may include financial documentation, letters of support, transcript information, and/or legal notifications.
- It is important to note that all submissions must be through the corresponding links at the bottom of the page.
- Completed Exception to Policy Form (required)
- An explanation regarding your request in detail (required)
- Any necessary documentation to support your request
- An email confirmation will be sent to you that your Exception to Policy Request has been received along with the timeframe of when you can expect to
hearback with the decision from the Exception to Policy Committee.
- After the committee meets and makes a decision, you will be notified via email of the committee’s decision within a week of the committee meeting. Depending on the type of request it may take longer than a standard week. If it does take longer, you will be notified. Additionally, times that the university is closed or on break may also delay these processes.
What you need to know about the exception to policy request process
- Submitting an Exception to Policy does not mean your request will be approved.
- All policies must be followed until the committee has sent you an email of approval for your Exception to Policy.
- Incomplete Exception to Policy submissions will not be accepted. Failure to provide adequate rational and supporting documentation may result in the delay of your request being considered. Providing supporting documentation is highly encouraged. Which may include but are not limited to; financial documentation, letters of support, transcript information, and/or legal notifications.
- The committee meets on the first and third week of each month.
formis due on the second and fourth Thursday by 5 pm each month to be reviewed the following week.
Exception to policy requests are not used for
- Room Transfers
- Setting up Payment Plans or requesting payment extensions
- East Campus Damages and Fee Appeals
- Request for an Emotional Support Animal
- Code of Student Conduct Concerns
Exception to policy requests are used for
Asking for an exception to a published policy or requirement not listed above. For example (but not limited to):
- Requesting to cancel your license agreement
- Appealing Main Campus housing charges/fees you feel were wrongfully charged to you
- Being under-enrolled
Special notes for common exception to policy requests
Exception to policy request inquires
- For questions or concerns regarding the Exception to Policy process please contact the Exception to Policy Committee Chair at Jgoin@csumb.edu or by phone at 831-582-4688.
- Please note that the committee meets the first and third of each month.
Appeals to the committee decisions
- If you choose to appeal the decision of the Exception to Policy Committee, you must submit your appeal within thirty (30) days of the committee decision notification being sent. Please include any new information as well as a detailed reason for your appeal and any additional documentation you feel is relevant.
- If your Exception to Policy is denied, you will have the opportunity to appeal. Provided in the correspondence of denial of your Exception to Policy there will be a link to submit your appeal.
- You are allowed one appeal to the committee’s decisions and that appeal decision will be final.
- **PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY EXCEPTION TO POLICY REQUEST REGARDING SUMMER EXTENSION OR REQUEST FOR 2019 SUMMER HOUSING WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DENIED EFFECTIVE MONDAY, MAY 13, 2019, UNLESS THERE IS SIGNIFICANT REASONING, SUCH AS EMERGENCY SITUATIONS.