FAFSA/CA Dream App TIPS for 2018-2019

The 2018–2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and the California Dream Application, open on October 1, 2017

Fill out the FAFSA online if you are a US citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident and are interested in federal or state grants or any type of loan. For more information regarding citizenship status and the FAFSA go to the Federal Student Aid website.

You will need your FSA ID, and your tax forms for the IRS filing year 2016. For students under the age of 24 years old, your parent will need their FSA ID and 2016 tax forms as well. You will also need the CSUMB school code – 032603.

Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)

The 2018-2019 FAFSA DRT links IRS data to the FAFSA and is available to most students and parents. For security reasons most of the data retrieved from the IRS will not be viewable to you on the FAFSA. We highly encourage everyone who is eligible to use the DRT to eliminate manual entry errors and delays in the processing of your financial aid.

Student Aid Report (SAR)

Your FAFSA information will be processed by the Department of Education, Office of Federal Student Aid. Within a few days of the submission of your FAFSA your Student Aid Report (SAR) will be available. You can access your SAR online at FAFSA.gov. Review your SAR and make any corrections necessary online.

California Dream Act Application (CADAA)

The CADAA should be completed by students who are not eligible to file the FAFSA, and attended at least 3 full years in a California high school or earned a GED associated with a CA high school, and are without lawful immigration status. For more information about your eligibility for the CA Dream Act application visit the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) website.

To complete the CADAA, you will need your CSAC ID and password. If you do not have one you will be prompted to set one up. To complete the application, you will need your tax documents for the IRS filing year 2016. If you are under the age of 24, your parents will need to provide their tax information and they will need to set up a Parent PIN. The PIN is required to “sign” the CADAA. You will also need the CSUMB school code – 032603.

If you or a parent did not file taxes with the IRS for 2016

If you are considered an independent student for financial aid purposes and you did not file taxes for 2016 you will need to provide proof of non-filing status. For dependent students, if your parent did not file taxes for the 2016 tax year, they will need to provide proof of non-filing status. IRS documents that clearly indicate that the IRS does not have a tax return record on file for the tax year are acceptable for verification of non-filing status. This includes a Tax Return Transcript that includes a message such as "no record of return filed" or "no transcript on file". (Please note messages: "request could not be honored” or "could not be processed" are not acceptable documents).

It can take 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to send these documents to you; therefore, we encourage you to go to IRS.gov website and request a proof of Non-filing status document as soon as possible.

Need help with your FAFSA or CADAA?

Financial Aid Counselors are available to assist you with your FAFSA and California Dream Act Application questions during the weekdays between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Please check the Financial Aid Office website for details on walk-in hours. Additionally, Financial Aid Counselors will be available at outreach events including the Associated Students Financial Aid Workshop on December 4 between 12:00 and 2:00 pm in the West Lounge at the Student Center.