Our Promise: California State Employees Giving at Work
Our Promise: California State Employees Giving at Work (formerly CSECC) was established in 1957 to provide a single charitable fund-raising drive in the State community. Our Promise offers California State employees the opportunity to utilize payroll deduction to support charitable organizations they feel passionate about. The California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board provides oversight of this campaign and the enabling regulations are found in the California Administrative Code.
Last year our campus raised $16,100 for non-profits in Monterey County and had a 9% participation rate – outstanding! We, as a university community, continue to show how much we care. I applaud your generosity and encourage your continued participation. Your gift will not only make you feel good, it also shows the public that we at CSUMB care and are committed to making our community stronger...together.
Weekly Prize Winners
- Jill Ostrie - Student Services
- Doris Weilenmann - University Police
- Jennifer Stone - IT Project Management Office
- Stacie Russo - University Police
- Laura Tantillo - University Personnel
- Ron Thompson - Telecommunications
- Phil Esparza - World Theater
Should I designate the United Way of Monterey County or my own nonprofit(s)?
Our Promise partners with the United Way to administer the state annual campaign. The Donor Resource Guide provides details about the program and partnering organizations. We each have the option of designating our gift go to either the United Way of Monterey County or our own favorite non-profit(s).
The United Way brings together a network of partner agencies to address complex issues. Donations support all partners and stay in the county. Help ensure that someone you may know gets the help they need, including:
- 2-1-1 - responded to 11,830 calls for service generating 22,704 referrals.
- Earn it! Keep it! $ave it! - a free tax preparation services resulting in $3.3 million of additional income county residents.
- Family Wize Prescription Drug Program - discount program saved over $333,797 to county residents (saved average of 34% per prescription).
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program - provided $297,708 to help local families and individuals meet basic needs.
List of local non-profit organizations supported by your donation:
- United Way Monterey County
- Central Coast Young Men's Christian Association
- Community Human Services
- Franciscan Workers of Junipero Serra
- Monterey County Rape Crisis Center
- Food Bank for Monterey County
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Monterey
- Hope Rehabilitation Services
- Community Partnership for Youth
- Alliance on Aging, Inc.
- Family Service Agency of the Central Coast
- Interim, Inc.
- Rancho Cielo
- Housing Resource Center of Monterey County
- Legal Services for Seniors
- Sun Street Centers
- Meals on Wheels of the Salinas Valley, Inc
Do you support a local school, animal shelter or community services organization and want to make sure your donation goes directly to them? Would you like to make your donation to the Foundation of CSUMB. You can!
Find the organization name and code from the Our Promise List of Non-Profits or write in the name and address of the organization in Item G of the pledge form.
A minimum of $5.00 per designated nonprofit per month is required for this option.
The Our Promise pledge form
CA Government Code (Section 13923) requires that each State employee be provided a pledge form giving each employee the opportunity to make a one time donation or to make monthly donations through payroll deduction. All forms (even if you decline) are due Friday, October 26 to April L. Lee.
Have more questions? Please contact your Our Promise Department Coordinator or one of the CSUMB Coordinators: Caroline Haskell (x3989) or April Lee (x3532).
Please contact the State Donor Resource Line (888) TO-DO-GOOD (888-863-6466) for campaign related assistance.
California State Employees Giving At Work (Our Promise)
All checks must be made out to Our Promise
- If they are not, they must be returned to the donor for correction
- With the donor present, verify the cash or check amount matches what is indicated on the pledge form
- Paper clip the cash or check to the pledge form and place items in an envelope
- As you and the donor agree on the total amount in the envelope, seal the envelope
- Ensure both the donor and Key Connector signs the sealed envelope
- If you are using an Our Promise branded envelope, instruct the donor to mark the box that verifies cash or check is inside
- If you are using a blank envelope write cash or check inside on the face of the envelope
- Always remember to secure checks and cash at all times in a safe, locked location identified by your department
The Our Promise: California State Employees Giving at Work program, is one of the largest giving campaigns in California. The Our Promise campaign brings state employees, donors, volunteers, and nonprofits together to care for communities and causes.
What is the impact:
- 31,000 Donors Giving Back
- $6.1 Million Raised
- 5,300+ Nonprofits helped
Last year our campus raised over $16,100 for non-profits in Monterey County and had a 9% participation rate. These dollars will make a difference. Experience has shown that the more you give, the more you get in return. Contributing to Our Promise is your investment in the lives of your neighbors and community through the thousands of eligible 501(c)(3) nonprofits listed in your Our Promise Donor Resource Guide. If you are unable to locate a nonprofit of interest, you can still designate your funds by utilizing the write-in portion on the pledge form.
This is truly a “your choice” campaign. You can spread your gift throughout the year with the convenient option of payroll deduction for as little as $5 a month. By electing payroll deduction, this provides the worthy nonprofits of your choice a consistent cash flow to assist them as they provide programs and services that change people’s lives. Monthly recurring donations allow nonprofits to leverage their dollars further.
So please, join us in contributing through Our Promise. There is no better way to help so many people in need. Together, our contributions support the long and proud history of fulfilling our promise, and together our financial contributions can create a fresh and vibrant future with new opportunities, connections and participation for years to come. For more information or for assistance in donating, feel free to contact a member of your department’s Our Promise campaign team.
Regardless of your decision to make a donation or not, please complete the Pledge Form and return it to your Department Coordinator by Wednesday, October 24th. For more details, answers to FAQ’s and a link to the Our Promise site, please refer to the CSUMB Employee Giving Campaign website or contact one of us. You many also reach out to Yessica Ramirez, our United Way Resource Manager. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-372-8026 x110.