Care Team

How do I make a referral?

If you are concerned about a student and would like to consult with a member of The Care Team, please feel free to contact one of the representatives listed below. You may also submit a referral form via the green button, which will be routed to the team for review and response.


The Care Team identifies students who may be experiencing distress or have concerns within the university community that could potentially impact student well-being. The team consults in order to generate awareness and plan collaborative responses.

What is The Care Team?

The Care Team meets weekly to provide coordinated assistance and support to students in distress and/or students of concern, based on referrals. The team is composed of representatives from Student Affairs and Enrollment Services and The University Police Department, which are areas of campus that are generally involved in the holistic wellness of our students. The goals of the team are safety, well-being and student success. The team encourages all members of our campus community to adopt the perspective of, “see something, say something.”

Role of The Care Manager

The Care Manager, a non-clinical higher education case manager, convenes and coordinates the Care Team, as well as acts as the primary point of contact. Focused on the goals of health and safety for the entire campus community, The Care Manager, housed in Dean of Students Office, adheres to The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and functions to provide additional support to students experiencing distress. The Care Manager does not provide therapeutic interventions but does focus on educating and encouraging effective problem solving and assist students in navigating processes, accessing services and implementing self-advocacy skills.

What is Higher Education Case Management (non-clinical)?

The intention is to provide additional support to students experiencing distress, particularly students with risk factors such as mental health concerns, limited social/financial support, first generation or undocumented status, and many other potential considerations. Collaboration with other University offices and off-campus entities assist in helping to identify students who would benefit from early intervention. Higher education case management is at its core, about helping students overcome barriers in their lives so they can be successful.

CSUMB Red Folder

The California State University (CSU) system has created an electronic resource entitled, the Red Folder, to help faculty and staff identify, respond, and refer students in distress. The Red Folder initiative was created through the support of the California Mental Health Services Authority (CalMHSA) Student Mental Health Initiative (SMHI), which promotes and applies strategies to strengthen student mental health services across all CSU campuses. The CSU recognizes that students might seek support and counseling from faculty and staff members whom they have fostered a trusting relationship. For this reason, the Office of the Chancellor is providing each campus with tools that will assist its faculty and staff in connecting distressed students with the appropriate campus services.

The Red Folder is an electronic reference guide that contains safety tips and contact information for a wide variety of emergency campus resources to immediately help any student in distress. Also, it provides guidance on responding to incidents in which a student might be self-danger or threat to others. The Red Folder was developed by a systemwide workgroup consisting of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) directors, counselors, student conduct administrators and health educators.

Link to CSUMB Red Folder

To download the FREE app:

Google Play Apple

Care Team Representatives

What is CalFresh?

CalFresh (federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP) is a federally mandated, state-supervised, and county-operated government entitlement program that provides monthly food benefits to assist low-income households in purchasing the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels. In general, these benefits are for any food or food product intended for human consumption and can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. If you are finding it difficult to afford the nutritious food that you and your family needs, the CalFresh Program may be able to help you.

The amount of benefits you can receive is dependent on your family size, countable income, and monthly expenses such as housing, utilities, and so forth.

All U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Resident children may qualify to receive CalFresh benefits, regardless of where the parents were born. Parents may also qualify for benefits if all other program guidelines are met. Individuals with no children also may qualify.

The program issues monthly benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores. These benefits are issued on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card which looks like any other credit card.

An electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card is used like a debit card.

An electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card is used like a debit card at most grocery stores and farmers’ markets.

You do not have to be on welfare to get CalFresh benefits. Eligibility for CalFresh assistance, as well as the benefit amount, is based on your household’s size and income level.

Benefits may not be used for items such as alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, or paper products

CalFresh Eligibility Requirements For College Students

If you are a student between the ages of 18 and 49 and you’re enrolled in at least 5 units you must also meet any one of the following:

  • Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours per month
  • Approved for federal or state work study and anticipating working during the school term (can still be eligible even if not working a work study job)
  • Be enrolled in EOPS or WIOA programs
  • Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6
  • Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate child care (as determined by the county on a case-by-case basis)
  • Be a single parent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enrolled full-time (at least 12 units)
  • Participating in the Job Training Partnership Act (JTPA) or a Food Stamp Employment or Training Program (FSET)
  • Be a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children)

Other things to consider:

  • Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement
  • Students who live with their parents must be 23 years of age or older to apply as an individual household
  • International students are not eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
Apply to CalFresh

Support and Resources for Undocumented Students

The Care Manager is available as a support person to assist all students in navigating resources. Additionally The Care Manager is a resource to specific student populations such as students who identify as: Dreamers, Undocumented, DACA, DACAmented and/or AB540. Students may access The Care Manager directly or seek more information on the CSUMB website, Undocumented Student Support Services.

Additional Resources

24/7 Urgent Resources

In an emergency, dial 9-1-1

University Police, 24 hour non-emergency number: (831) 655-0268

Health and Well-being

Personal Growth & Counseling Center

Campus Health Center

Campus Chaplaincy & Spiritual Support

Off Campus

Doctors On Duty (Urgent Care and Medical Clinics)

Monterey Bay Urgent Care

Mental Health Crisis Line at Natividad Hospital (831) 755-4111

Alcoholics Anonymous of Monterey

Planned Parenthood Seaside, CA

Gender Inclusive Restrooms

All Gender Multi-Stall Restrooms FAQ's

Map of gender inclusive restrooms on campus.

Lactation Space Access

CSUMB Lactation Space Access Flow Chart

University Personnel lactation support information.