Skip to content

1098-T FAQ

Electronic OPT-IN Form

CAUTION: The content below is general information only. Please contact the IRS or a tax professional if legal advice is needed. The university cannot provide legal advice regarding your eligibility or the calculation of the credits.


The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has changed their Form 1098-T reporting regulations. Universities must now report payments beginning the 2018 tax year. Box 3 will be checked on the Form 1098-T indicating this reporting change.

For payments to be included on the Form 1098-T they must be applied to 1098-T eligible charges. Payments will be reported in the tax year that they are applied to eligible charges.

Please keep in mind, if you registered for Spring 2018 in the tax year 2017 and made a Spring 2018 payment in the 2018 tax year, the same amount may be reported in Box 2 on your 2017 Form 1098-T as a charged amount and in Box 1 on your 2018 Form 1098-T as a received payment.

Frequently asked questions


California State University, Monterey Bay does not assist in tax preparation, act as a tax consultant for individuals or entities, provide tax advice, and cannot answer your tax questions. Please consult a tax professional, the IRS, or a financial planner who is proficient with taxation with your tax questions. Each student and/or their parents must determine eligibility for, calculation of, and limitation on the tuition and fees deduction or the education credits (hope or lifetime learning credit).

While the university has made every effort to use the most current and accurate data, tax laws change frequently, and it is possible that some of the information may no longer be accurate. The university disclaims all liability from the mistreatment of information and materials contained in this document.

Information regarding immigration, employment, and tax substantial authority are the responsibility of each individual. Please keep in mind that no one from California State University, Monterey Bay, while in their official role at the university, can act as a tax consultant, give personal, legal or tax advice, or represent an individual dealing with the Internal Revenue Service. Thus, any assistance the above information may provide is given as a courtesy to you, and as such, should not be construed in any way as the rendering of legal or tax advice.

Campus Service Center

(831) 582-5100