CSUMB Student Art Committee Opens Call for Student Public Art Proposals
A message from CAHSS Dean Ilene Feinman, Chair of the Student Art Committee and University Art Committee:
This is a call for student art installation proposals as per the Policy on Public Student Art. Please read the policy link, especially Section 4.0-4.2 for instructions on preparing a proposal for review. This call is open to all CSUMB students.
Project Timeline (dates may be subject to change according to scope of project)
- Proposal submittal deadline: December 2, 2019
- Proposals reviewed: Mid-December, 2019, with notification by December 23
- In-person presentations of maquette: Late January, 2020
- Selected artist(s) begin fabrication of approved project: February, 2020
- Installation and project completion: February-April, 2019
- Unveiling: May, 2020
How to Apply:
All interested students must observe the Student Public Art Policy, and complete the entire process outlined in section 4.20:
- Project description/scope of work and paragraph stating the benefits and impacts the project will have on community and mission of the University (drawings, photographs)
- Project contacts (student and faculty sponsor's name, title, department, phone, etc.)
- Project timeline (installation dates required, etc.)
- Project supervision protocols
- Required scaffolding, attachments, or mounting for the space or buildings for installation
- Proposed project site location (on scaled campus maps) and any alternate sites in addition to sketches of artwork or photomontage of artwork in the proposed space
- Project budget and funding that has been acquired or committed to the project. The student is the primary party responsible for all project costs; the department in which the course was offered is the secondary party. For murals, address the cost to maintain the mural and repair and/or replace wall finish when mural is removed.
- Identify any proposed cost to the University (liability, security, etc.)
- Special requirements (ADA, construction, inspection, engineering, lighting)
- Identify and address project safety concerns
- Duration of display (maximum of one month after installation or until the end of the semester of installation, whichever is longer). Students may request an extension to display their work through the Student Art Committee.
- Include a signed statement that indemnifies the University against vandalism, theft, or other damage to the artwork.
Any proposal that omits the requested information in the above section of the policy will be disqualified. All interested students must complete their submittal for this Call for Proposals by delivering the proposal to care of Dean Feinman, CAHSS 504-1001, by 5 pm on December 2, 2019, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.