To educate and empower students about the power of words, through conversation couches, in-housing dialogues, a photo series, website, graffiti board and other events. Use the hashtag #EmpowerEachOtter.
- Microaggression |ˌmīkrōəˈɡreSHən|
- a subtle but offensive comment or action directed at a minority or other non dominant group that is often unintentional or unconsciously reinforces a stereotype: microaggressions such as "I don't see you as black". It is the act of discriminating against a non-dominant group by means of such comments or actions: The diversity committee discussed the issue of microaggression toward women on campus.
Microaggressions have always been about racism, transphobia, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia, ableism, ethnic nationalism that is sometimes seen and sometimes just under the surface in people’s language and actions. Naming microaggressions has always been about making connections between our everyday interactions to these larger systems. And naming is just the first step.
The opposite of a Microagression is a Macroagression.
- Macroaggression |ˈmakrōəˈɡreSHən|
- large-scale or overt aggression toward those of a different race, culture, gender, etc.; contrasted with microaggression.
- Stereotyping |ˈsterēəˌtīping|
- an often unfair and untrue belief that many people have about all people or things with a particular characteristic.