The mission of the Women's Leadership Council is to support educational opportunities for re-entry students at CSUMB.
Encourage women to play a philanthropic leadership role at CSUMB.
Increase knowledge of CSUMB among women leaders in the community.
History and Accomplishments
The Women's Leadership Council has a membership base of over 125. Membership contributions, proceeds from the annual luncheon, grants, and the Council's scholarship endowment generate support for re-entry students at CSUMB.
Since 2003, the Women's Leadership Council has:
- Awarded more than 90 scholarships to re-entry students at CSUMB, including $36,000 (18 tuition scholarships of $2,000 each) for the 2018-2019 academic year
Established the Women's Leadership Council Emergency Fund made possible by the Peggy and Jack Baskin Foundation
- Enabled re-entry students to stay in school by awarding more than 95 scholarships for unexpected financial emergencies
- Offered a professional clothing closet "Otter Outfitters" for CSUMB students and alumni
- Grown the WLC Scholarship Endowment to more than $345,000
- Inaugurated the Community Woman of Distinction in 2017
Who are re-entry students?
- At least 25 years old
- Have returned to school after an absence of several years
- Face financial challenges, including parental responsibilities, that traditional students do not encounter
- The majority of CSUMB re-entry students are women